About Hope Coalition
HOPE Coalition is here for the really tough stuff, serving the abused and disadvantaged–victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse, and homelessness.
Simply put, we restore hope. We rebuild lives.
As the only agency in two rural counties providing domestic violence, child abuse, and sexual assault programming and services, there is, sadly, no shortage of people in need of our assistance. Currently, we serve over 1,700 people each year in Goodhue and Wabasha Counties, MN, and in Western Pierce County, WI. Additionally, the Haven of Hope, our domestic violence shelter, accepts women and their children from anywhere in Minnesota, and occasionally from out-of-state if needed for safety reasons.
Empowering lives through HOPE.
Now available for review is our 2017 Annual report.
HOPE Coalition provides the following programs and support for individuals and families in need:
● Haven of Hope domestic violence shelter – A secure, 24 bed emergency shelter for women and their children under age 18. Services include support groups, safety planning, legal advocacy, information and referrals, and a 24-hour crisis hotline.
● Kids Count Abused Children’s Program – A youth advocacy program providing safety and support to children ages 0-18 who’ve experienced/witnessed abuse or violence. Services include crisis intervention, advocacy, safety planning, support groups, field trips for youth and families, school enrollment, transportation, referrals, and community education.
● Sexual Assault Services – In addition to our 24-hour crisis and support hotline, we also provide: support groups; advocacy during medical exams, law enforcement interviews, and civil or criminal court matters; safety planning; assistance in securing emergency services; assistance in filing victim compensation claims; collaboration with other social service providers; and access to culturally-appropriate interpreters and materials.
● Housing Support Services – We assist families and individuals in securing emergency and short-term/long-term transitional housing, case management, and self-sufficiency skills. We also provide housing assessment and release planning for inmates at Goodhue County Adult Detention Center.
● Community Care Fund – Providing assistance to families in crisis who are unable to pay for basic necessities or living expenses (rent, food, utilities,etc.). Our program focuses on developing self-sufficiency to help reduce future needs.
Since our genesis in 1990 as the Red Wing Area Coalition for Transitional Housing, our organization has achieved a great deal. In 1995 we opened our domestic violence shelter, Haven of Hope, which helps women, and their children under age 18. The following year we launched Kids Count, our program focusing solely on children experiencing or witnessing violence and abuse. In 2006, we took over management of the Community Care Fund–a collaboration of local churches, foundations, and the United Way of Goodhue, Wabasha and Pierce Counties–to provide a general fund for people seeking help with basic needs.
In order to better reflect our expanded services, in 2008 we changed our name to the current HOPE Coalition. In 2012 the Charities Review Council awarded us their Meets Standards seal–which is a “clear, concise and accessible indicator of [our] continued commitment towards accountable and ethical practices.” In 2014, at the request of the MN Office of Justice Programs, we took over provision of sexual assault services for Goodhue and Wabasha Counties.
We serve about 1,710 clients each year in the following ways:
● Haven of Hope domestic violence shelter and outreach services – Around 411 annually.
● Housing Support Services – Around 482 annually.
● Kids Count Abused Children’s Program – Around 193 annually.
● Community Care Fund – Around 504 annually.
● Sexual Assault Services – Around 120 annually.
● Crisis calls to Haven of Hope domestic violence shelter – Around 487 annually.
Our Board of Directors
Barbara von Haaren